Support for Everyone

Studying at college can be life-changing, and nothing should get in the way of that. No matter who you are, there’s plenty of options for you to look at to make sure you’re financially supported to get the future you want.

Are you a School Leaver?

Need a little support? You could be entitled to extra help with costs such as childcare, books, trips and equipment. 

Students working together


If you’re aged 16 to 18, live more than 1 mile away from your main place of study and your household earns less than £40K per year, you could get help with your travel costs. If you live in Tyne and Wear, you could be eligible for a free Network One travel pass, or if you live outside of Tyne and Wear, you could get up to £300 per term or £900 per year in travel cost support. Students who live in the North Tyneside Council area should apply to the council initially, for help with travel costs.

You could also be entitled to free lunches if you’re studying full-time and you meet the required eligibility.

*All support is subject to criteria.

Student on a train


Download info sheet


Studying at TyneMet lets you invest in your future and fulfil your ambitions at good value for money. With a competitive fee structure, we offer flexible payment schemes and free financial advice from our dedicated Student Advisers at Student Services. 

Everybody’s circumstances are different, which means you could also be entitled to a bursary, grant or financial support on things like course fees, essential equipment or childcare.

Student working in the library


What are my options?

As a TyneMet undergraduate student, you may qualify for a range of financial support to help you with your higher education studies. You can apply for a student loan to help pay tuition fees, and a maintenance loan to help with living costs. If you fit the eligibility criteria, you may also qualify for a number of different grants

Student writing notes


If you have learning difficulties and/or disabilities, you may be entitled to Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) to help with the costs of the support you may need whilst studying with us.

Student smiling


Advanced Learner Loans are similar to Higher Education Loans, but are for further education (FE) students studying a certificate or diploma at level 3 or 4. The Advanced Learner Loan is available for students aged 19 or above, studying on a number of further education courses, including Access to Higher Education programmes.

You don’t need to pay anything back until you start earning over £25,725 per year, however if your loan is for an Access to Higher Education programme and you progress to complete a higher education programme, you won’t pay back your FE loan at all.

Student smiling and studying


The Advanced Learner Loan Bursary Fund is to support students who’ve had an Advanced Learner Loan approved by the Student Loan Company for a level 3 or 4 certificate or diploma and have a household income of less than £30K. The fund is used to support students with travel expenses, childcare, additional learning support (ALS) and cases of extreme hardship. Application forms and guidance leaflets are available from Student Services at our Coast Road Campus.

Student leaning on a bench

We're here for you

If you’re struggling to attend and stay at college because of your financial circumstances, please book an appointment to speak to one of our Student Finance Advisers, who will be happy to offer advice and support to help keep you on track.

Pay My Student Bursary Application Process

You can apply for a Bursary to support you while you study, you may be eligible for some course related expenses.

Still not sure?

Depending on if you’re a school leaver or an adult, have a chat with our dedicated teams who will be happy to speak with you.

Get in touch

Our team is always ready to help. So if you have questions on courses, your career, or anything else, complete this contact form and we’ll be in touch.