Foundation Learning Courses are designed for students aged 16-24 with learning difficulties or special learning needs.
We offer 4 different ‘Pathways to Adulthood’ courses ranging from pre-entry level to Level 1:
1. Life skills – For learners with more complex needs. Focus is on developing greater independence skills to manage everyday life; exercise therapy, emotional literacy, communication, sensory stories, ICT.
2. Independent Living - focus on developing independent living skills: managing money, personal safety, cookery and home skills, travel skills, health, wellbeing and citizenship.
3. Personal and Social Development – Focus on developing social skills, managing anxiety, emotional literacy, health and wellbeing, preparation for work, managing money, working with others and community action.
4. Preparation for Employment and Supported Internships – For learners who have developed the independence and social skills to enter the workplace. Large work placement element. Want to know more about this pathway? Our lecturer, Penny talks about the course and what to expect. Check it out.
The programme of study will include a mixture of classroom, practical and enriching activities.
We offer you a Foundation Learning package of support which is unique. Our aim is to work with you to give you skills and confidence and the opportunity to meet new friends and explore new opportunities, at a pace that suits you. Simply put, we make sure you have the best experience you can so that you can be the best you can be in the future.
As a student you will benefit from:
- Excellent teaching and support through small class sizes
- Planned and supported transition from school to college
- Individual learning plans and targets
- Vocational tasters
- Work experience
- Enterprise skills
- Access to Speech and Language therapy, Physiotherapy and Occupational therapy
- English & maths
- North East Sport Academy - Pan Disability Football Academy
Throughout the year, we run a series of open events to give you the opportunity to find out more about our Foundation Learning courses.
View the range of events here.
Like to know more?
If you have any questions about studying Foundation Learning at TyneMet, call 0191 229 5312 or email firstname.lastname@example.org