Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy // Level 3
qualification gives learners the knowledge, integrity, competency and proficiency to perform sports massage on a range of clients
who have no underlying pathological conditions. Successful achievement of the
qualification will allow the learner to gain employment within an organisational setting or
alternatively in a self-employed environment.
Requirements to study:
There are no specific entry requirements for this qualification. There is an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 3. Performing sports massage is a physical activity and learners will need to be fit enough to carry this out.
Aims of the course
• To enable learners to assess clients and construct a sports massage treatment plan
• To enable learners to understand the causes and pathology of soft tissue damage
• To enable learners to understand how to determine the appropriate treatment to support each stage of soft tissue repair
• To enable learners to understand the application of non-sports massage modalities used to support soft tissue repair
• To enable learners to be able to apply a range of sports massage techniques and understand their effects on the body
The course offers visits to local sports events to gain practical experience of pre and post event sports massage. Guest speakers will come in to share their experiences and offer an insight into the sports massage industry.
Assessment is through completion of workbooks, report writing, group work, exam and a practical assessment. You must also complete 50 hours supervised massage as part of this qualification.
• This qualification provides progression to Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Instructing Exercise and Fitness, for learners who wish to develop and demonstrate occupational competence in gym instruction
• Alternatively, it provides progression to Level 3 qualifications in Personal Training for learners who wish to further their knowledge and skills and become personal trainers working with specialist populations as well as the general population
• Learners may also progress on to the Active IQ Level 3 Certificate in Sports Massage, where they will be provided with the knowledge and skills to practice sports massage alongside gym instructing in the Health Club environment
• Learners may also broaden their knowledge and skills by progressing to Level 2 qualifications in Instructing Circuits, Exercise to Music and Aqua.
Sports Massage Practitioner
|Campus||Coast Road Campus|