School Liaison Service
Our School Liaison Service is here to help you
The School Liaison Service can help you with:
- One-to-one guidance
- Help with application forms
- Checking progress of applications
- Information on extra opportunities at college including how to apply for apprenticeships
- Careers advice
- Advice about college interviews
- Arranging tasters and master classes to ‘test out’ different courses
- Advice about university and higher education
- Working with your school to ensure a smooth transition between high school and sixth form
Our School Liaison Service maintains the Matrix quality standard for Information, Advice and Guidance, so rest assured that the advice you are getting is informed and appropriate.
You can contact our School Liaison Officer on 0191 229 5112.
2017-18 Open Events will take place at Tyne Metropolitan College, Battle Hill Drive, Wallsend from 4.30 – 7pm on:
- 19 Sep 2017
- 17 Oct 2017
- 14 Nov 2017
- 12 Dec 2017
- 16 Jan 2018
- 20 Feb 2018
- 27 Mar 2018
- 01 May 2018
- 12 Jun 2018
Free workshops are running on Tuesday 14th November 2017, 5.30 – 6.30pm and Tuesday 27th March 2018, 5.30 – 6.30pm in the following subject areas:
- Early years
- Health & Social care
- Uniformed services
Why attend a Taster Workshop?
Taster workshops are the best way to see if a course is right for you. It is also an opportunity to have a look at the classrooms, meet teachers and other pupils who are thinking about choosing that course as well as asking students what college life is like at TyneMet. Past students have said “I always knew I wanted to do Sport at College, but I am really excited to start the course now” and “The teachers were really nice and helpful, I’ll be coming to another workshop”.
Workshops are the best way to see if a course is right for you. It is also an opportunity to have a look at the classrooms, meet teachers and other pupils who are thinking about choosing that course as well as asking students what college life is like at TyneMet!
Try out a construction trade at TyneMet’s specialist campus for construction, TMC in Benton. Check out the fantastic facilities and try out a building trade.
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Electrical Installations
- Kitchen/Bathroon Fitting
- Painting & Decorating
- Plastering/Dry Lining
Further information about our Construction Workshops will appear here soon.
Support for Schools
In line with the new government legislation around schools requirement to give impartial and unbiased Information, Advice and Guidance to young people, the School Liaison Service offers a wide range of opportunities to support schools with careers and progression advice. A wide range of engaging and dynamic techniques are used including the following;
- Assemblies and Presentations from Reception age to Year 13 Sixth Form Students
- One-to-one guidance for specific learners
- Help with application forms
- Checking progress of applications with school leads and careers advisors
- Support for Parents Evenings and Career days in Schools such as Career Speed Dating and Information Sessions.
- In-School taster workshops and subject specific activities for all Vocational course areas
- Tours and visits to vocational course areas
- Progression and course information support for teachers and careers advisors
- Arranging tasters and to ‘test out’ different courses
- Support with STEM focused events
As each school has different requirements, the TyneMet School Liaison Service is a very reactive and can be tailored to individual requests however small.
100% of school leads surveyed agreed that the School Liaison Service offers a tailored and reactive service for their pupils.
The most effective engagement offered from the School Liaison Service was noted as “First hand in-sight into TyneMet and QA courses” and “Committed support for pupils across a range of techniques”.
Support for Sixth Forms
Tyne Metropolitan College offers a wide range of Higher Education Courses, enabling the School Liaison Service to offer Advice, Guidance and Support with;
- Course Information Sessions (Presentations, Workshops etc)
- Support with UCAS Applications
- Funding and Financial advice
- Progression Opportunities
Contact the School Liaison Service
If you have any queries about your next steps or what to find out more about our events, contact us on 0191 229 5112 or email Lorraine.Schapira@stc.ac.uk
“The School Liaison Officer is extremely well organised, her personality and enthusiasm mean that young people can relate to her, she pitches it at just the right level.”
Marden High School
“There is a lot of professional respect between the school and the college. The School Liaison Service has fostered a positive and fruitful relationship with our high school.”
John Spence Community High School
“The Service provided is effective and impartial, allowing students to come to their own decisions.”
Matrix Quality Standard Assessment Report