Advanced Learner Loans
Have you heard about the Advanced Learner Loans?
If you're aged 19 or over and want to study A Levels, an Access to Higher Education Diploma or a Level 3 to 6 further education qualification starting after 1st August 2016, you will have fees to pay for the course (please check with our Gateway team for exceptions on (0191) 229 5000, option 2.)
The Advanced Learner Loan is a Government-funded loan available to help learners with their fees.
- It's easy to apply for
- It doesn’t involve a credit check
- Doesn’t take your household income into account
- You won't have to pay anything back until you are earning over £21,000 a year.
Am I eligible?
Most learners aged 19 and over, studying at Level 3-6 further education certificates or diplomas will qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan.
* Please note if you are 19-23 and do not currently hold a full level 3 certificate or diploma you may be eligible to study at level 3 for free, please contact the Gateway for further information on (0191) 229 5000, option 2.
The following individuals are eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan:
- Aged 19 or over at the start of their course
- Resident in the UK for three years prior to the start of the course
- Studying at a Skills Funding Agency approved provider (such as TyneMet College)
- Maintain a minimum attendance throughout the duration of your course as set with your course leader
- Undertaking an eligible level 3-6 further education certificate or diploma as identified by the Skills Funding Agency
To find out more about eligibility please go to: https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learning-loans/eligibility
How much will I receive?
The amount you can get from the loan depends on the type of course you take and how much the fees are. The minimum loan you can get is £300. You don’t have to borrow the full cost of your course - you can pay for some of it yourself.
How will I repay the loan?
You don’t pay anything up front for your course fees and won’t start making repayments until you are earning £21,000 or over. Find out more about repayments.
If your loan is for an Access to Higher Education programme and you progress to complete a Higher Education programme, you will not have to pay back your Advanced Learner Loan at all!
For more information please go to: https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/courses/funding
How do I apply?
The quickest way to apply is online using the details in your Learning and Funding Information letter provided by the Gateway. It can take up to 5 days to process an online application (or up to 4 weeks if you apply by post).
For more details about applying, contact the Gateway team - email@example.com or call 0191 229 5000 (option 2)
*Please note that the Advanced Learning Loan is not available for Higher Education qualifications such as Foundation Degrees.