Apprenticeships View all apprenticeships at TyneMet
Get Qualified at Work
TyneMet College offers a wide choice of Apprenticeship programmes, providing a friendly, personal service to help you to commence your career and continue to build your qualifications. Apprenticeship programmes are an excellent choice if you don't want to stay in full-time education and know what sort of career path you want to follow. Ideally, you will already be employed but we may be able to help with this if you are having difficulty.
During an Apprenticeship programme (in most cases), you will attend work 4 days a week and college for one day a week. You will develop skills and knowledge whilst in the work place and study for qualifications with the college at the same time.
Apprenticeships are available to anyone aged 16 and above. You will be supported throughout the programme and will be paid by your employer.
Apprenticeships – The Next Step to Your Future
- Like to be paid while you learn?
- Like to succeed in the world of work?
- Know the type of career you want to go into?
Then a TyneMet College Apprenticeship could be just the right course for you. With an Apprenticeship you can learn a specific trade or profession; earn money while you train, qualify to a high standard that is recognised nationally; and progress onto Higher Education.
Am I Eligible?
You must be aged between 16 to 60 years old, live in England and be in a job (employed) for a minimum of 30 hours per week or looking for work in your chosen profession.
Some Apprenticeships state minimum entry requirements such as GCSEs in English and Maths, but Apprenticeships aren't just based on academic achievement. Practical skills, your potential, commitment and your interest in the area of work you've chosen are also very important. Employers value enthusiasm to work and enthusiasm to learn.
Why do an Apprenticeship with TyneMet College?
An Apprenticeship with TyneMet represents an exciting opportunity to gain knowledge and qualifications within the College as well as at your workplace. Apprentices receive the highest quality training within industry standard facilities from expert Tutors and Assessors.
The Apprenticeship Programme is a really flexible way to gain qualifications and TyneMet offers a structured plan for you to progress and achieve your goals.
How do I Become an Apprentice?
To become an Apprentice, you must be in paid employment. Paid employment must be for more than 30 hours per week and you must have a recognised contract of employment with your employer. As an Apprentice, you will work four days a week and come to college for one day. If your employer has a number of Apprentices to train, TyneMet may even be able to deliver the entire Apprenticeship in the workplace.
Not in Employment?
We may be able to help you to find a suitable employer so don't let this prevent you from enquiring about the Apprenticeship career route. You can become an Apprentice at any age from 16 years upwards. We list all of our current Apprenticeship vacancies on our dedicated work-based learning website employers.tynemet.ac.uk/vacancies.
What will I do as an Apprentice?
- You will be in a job earning at least £95 per week, coming to college normally one day per week for your formal training*
- At college you will learn both the practical and theoretical skills you need to do your job properly and to a high level
- You will study a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ), either at level 2, 3 or level 4. This is a professional qualification, highly respected by businesses and employers nationally
- You will also study Key/Functional Skills, such as IT, Communication, and Numeracy. These are essential skills if you haven't got GCSEs at grade C or above in English and Maths
- You will also take at least one Technical Certificate as well as looking at Employers Rights and Responsibilities, and Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS)
- You don't just learn at college. You'll also be practising your skills and learning from experienced colleagues in your workplace while being observed by your college assessors.
*Wage rates quoted were accurate at the time of printing and may change in line with prevailing legislative requirements.
How Long is an Apprenticeship Programme?
The length of each programme depends on the choice of vocational area.
- Apprenticeship NVQ Level 2 – between 1 and 2 years
- Advanced Apprenticeship NVQ Level 3 - between 1 and 2 years
- Higher Level Apprenticeship NVQ Level 4 or 5 - between 1 and 2 years
Which Level Should I Choose?
If you are just starting, you will work towards a Level 2 Apprenticeship. Once this is achieved you can progress onto the Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3). Depending on your experience and working environment, you may be able to start at the Higher Level (Level 4). We can discuss your options when you come in for an interview.
What Support will I Have?
You will have a supervisor or line manager at work and a dedicated trainer from the college. They will visit you regularly at work and review your progress with you and your employer.
We can also provide additional support if you need it, such as help with Maths, IT or tailored support if you have learning difficulties. You will also have all the fantastic support and facilities as a TyneMet College part-time student.
What About Money?
Getting paid while you learn new skills, gain experience and knowledge, sounds too good to be true, but as an Apprentice you get the best of both worlds.
If you have the dedication and determination to succeed in the world of work and the commitment to training, then an Apprenticeship may be exactly the right course for you.
If you are 16 – 18 years old there are no training fees. If you are aged 19 or over, we will discuss flexible ways to finance your learning with your employer and our dedicated team of specialists at the college.
Get Started with TyneMet Training ...
Our team of highly experienced workforce development consultants are ready to help you find that exciting new Apprenticeship appointment or link with your current employer to plan a tailored training programme for your existing role.
- Hair by L'Oreal at TyneMet Col
- TyneMet College and Virgin Med
- TyneMet College Students Victo
- TyneMet Students Flourish with
- 100% Achievement for Foundatio